The history of 51ĀŅĀ× Libraries is almost as old as the University itself. In 1811 and 1812, OHIO purchased its first books. The combined $600 price tag was steepāmore than it cost to erect the Universityās first official building. The Board of Trustees officially established the Library of 51ĀŅĀ× in 1814, but it would be another four years before it got a real home. Read on to learn how that small set of books grew into one of the 100 largest academic libraries in the nation ā¦ and the homes itās had along the way.

College Edifice
1818-1905
(Later the Center Building, now Cutler Hall)
The collection grew tremendously during its nearly 90 years in the building that also housed classrooms, a dormitory and a museum. In 1901, President Alston Ellis declared the 15,000-plus books a fire hazard and insisted that something had to be done.

Carnegie Library
1905-1931
(Now Scripps Hall)
Though beautiful, the building funded by steel baron Andrew Carnegie was insufficient from the start; as a result, it was the library systemās shortest-lived home. It featured a card catalog and reading rooms, but the large rotunda and foyer took up precious real estate, and documents were piled throughout the building as a result.

Carnegie hall library from 1911 Athena yearbook. Courtesy of the Mahn Center for Archives and Special Collections

Chubb Library
1931-1969
(Now Chubb Hall)
The collection had seen both its longest and its shortest-lived homes by the time Chubb Library was completed, with capacity for 250,000 volumes. It featured a childrenās room, a smoking/study room, an open stack policy that let patrons locate their own materials, and eventually such modern technology as a Xerox machine and a rentable typewriter. The building was named for Edwin Watts Chubb, an English professor who became dean of the College of Liberal Arts (now the College of Arts and Sciences) in 1907 and who served as acting president on two occasions.

Students study quietly at Chubb Library, which was open most days from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Courtesy the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections

Before computers, book cards kept track of borrowed materials. Courtesy the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections

Alden Library
1969-present
When Vernon R. Alden became OHIOās 15th president, he prioritized a new library to house the Universityās half-million-plus books, which were moved from Chubb to their new home via rolling conveyor belts and a tractor. The east and west wings were completed in 1972, but the building exceeded capacity (1.4 million volumes) in 1985; the Library Annex opened on Columbus Road in the ā90s to house lesser-used materials and now bears the name of Libraries Dean Emeritus Hwa-Wei Lee. Today, Alden Library is home to several material collections, the Academic Achievement Center, a multimedia studio, study and meeting rooms, a ³¦²¹“ŚĆ©, the CoLab makerspace and 3D printer lab, an and, of course, plenty of books.

A student uses a computer station during Alden Libraryās 25th anniversary in 1994. Courtesy the Mahn Center for Archives & Special Collections

CoLab serves as an alternative study, work and creative space on Aldenās third floor. Photo by Ben Wirtz Siegel, BSVC ā02
Infographics by John Grimwade